Sunday 7 August 2011

Festivals!

Just brought tickets for me & two friends for this year's Leeds Festival. Fairly excited.

Went before when I was in sixth form, back in:

  • 2002 (also known as the year of the riot - though I did sleep through that), when Foo Fighters, Muse and the Strokes were headlining; and
  • 2003, with Blink-182 and Blur ... though the White Stripes pulled out due to Jack White's car crash and subsequent broken hand.

Of course there were many other great bands/artists I saw further down the bill those years. Off the top of my head, ... Hot Hot Heat, the Polyphonic Spree, Ash, Otis Lee Crenshaw, Tommy Tiernan, Feeder, the Vines, Placebo and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs were stand outs. So yeah, quite a few.

Haven't been to a festival since Glastonbury in 2004. It's far too long, but plans since then have always gone astray. Last year we decided to go to Latitude, and the tickets sold out the day before I tried to buy them.

Looking through the line-up for this year, I really want to see:

  • Muse, who have promised to play songs off 'Origin of Symmetry' ... by far and away their best album;
  • Pulp, as it seems to have been their summer & they're closing the festival;
  • Madness, as who wouldn't want to get their skank on to them;
  • the Strokes;
  • 2manyDJs;
  • Simian Mobile Disco;
  • Jimmy Eat World;
  • Two Door Cinema Club;
  • Deftones, to satisfy the teenage rocker left inside me;
  • Tim Minchin, who I saw do an awesome gig in Nottingham last December;
  • Crystal Castles;
  • the Kills;
  • Crystal Fighters; and
  • Death From Above 1979.

Probably more than I realised. On first glance it isn't a great line-up. Perhaps that's because the main stage on the day headlined by My Chemical Romance is really poor It's beyond my understanding as to why someone would decide MCR are fit to be headliners - saw them supporting Muse at Wemberly in 2007, on after Biffy Clyro ... it was painful. They did a (horribly misjudged) plea regarding teenage suicide. If this is the sort of music teenagers slit their wrists to, I could probably understand why.

Sure I'll discover more bands when I'm there, as well. Don't know anyone on the BBC Introducing ('new band') Stage, ... but guess I don't read NME anymore, with been twenty-six and all.

Also trying to get free tickets to Wilderness Festival as part of their street team. Have completed eight tasks, and will find out on Monday if I've been successful. So, may be going to that next weekend too. Really want to see the Guillemots, but also looking forward to Toots & the Maytals, Mercury Rev, Laura Marling and Gogol Bordello. It sounds like a rather chilled festival. Fingers crossed I get the ticket then.

Lot's of lists in this post. Should really get to sleep, seem to be content to waste this evening/night away. Have stuff to do tomorrow [sigh], but shall have to see how that goes now...

No comments:

Post a Comment